My husband just loves red velvet cake! It’s his absolute favorite! To show my love for him, we made him some Red Velvet Whoopie Pies for an early Valentine’s present! He works on Valentine’s Day this year. They actually are easier to make than you think! If you’re not a fan of food coloring, simply leave it out. My only warning is to make sure you have a tall glass of milk ready to go with it 🙂
2½ cups flour
1 tbsp. cocoa powder
1½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
½ cup butter, soft, plus 4 tbsp also
¼ cup softened shortening
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp. red food color
4 oz. cream cheese
1.5 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees then line baking sheets with parchment paper
2. In a bowl, sift your flour, then add cocoa, soda and salt together mix with a wire whisk
3. In a separate bowl using an electric mixer or Kitchenaid , mix the butter, shortening and sugar till it looks light and a wee bit fluffy.
4. Add egg, 1 tsp. vanilla and food coloring. Mix until combined.
5. Add flour and milk in two additions, alternating between each until completely combined.
6. Scoop batter about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. You should have about 32 cookies (to make 16 whoopee pies).
7. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and cool for 5 minutes before placing on wire rack to cool completely.
8. Beat cream cheese and remaining 4 tbsp butter until creamy. Continue to mix on low and slowly adding powdered sugar until combined. Then add remaining 1 tsp. vanilla and mix until just combined.
9. Pipe frosting on half of the cookies and then sandwich them together with the other halves.
Next comes the easiest step! Share them with the ones you love 🙂