This is a sponsored post, written for Dixie Crystals.
I’ve actually never made soap before! It just seemed too complex. I had no idea how simple it is to make AND how you can make it fun by adding surprises inside!
These Creepy Crawly Bug Soaps were easy to make and simple enough that the kids could help out. We followed the Creepy Crawly Bug Soap recipe found over at Dixie Crystals’ Kids in the Kitchen website.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
- 2 teaspoons of your favorite essential oil (we used orange)
- 16 ounces clear glycerin Melt and Pour Soap
- Cut melt-and-pour soap into cubes and place in a double boiler.
- Cover with lid.
- When soap is melted, remove from heat and mix in granulated sugar and vitamin E oil.
- Put mixture in a glass measuring cup and stir in the essential oil.
- Pour into soap molds until about half way full.
- Add your favorite plastic bugs. (We found ours in the Halloween section at Target.) Remember that your mold is upside down, so put bugs in so they are facing the top of the soap when complete.
- Top off the mold with more of the soap mixture and let set for about 4 hours.
- Pop out of the mold and then gift or enjoy with your kids!
If you haven’t made soap before, know that it solidifies pretty quickly. I started off by taking my time, but found out that I needed to speed things up!
We had a blast making Creepy Crawly Bug Soap! So much that I think we will do it again for other holidays. My kids are already eager to wash their hands so that they can score the spider inside the bug soap.
For more fun ideas to do with your kids during the holidays, be sure to visit Dixie Crystals’ Kids in the Kitchen website. There are recipes and crafts both available to check out.