Last night I found ourselves in a bit of a pinch. On our meal plan, we had leftovers marked, but there weren’t any leftovers left! The kids were asking for macaroni and cheese and it was already after 5 o’clock. We typically eat dinner around 5:30, so if I were to make my usual macaroni and cheese from scratch, it would have been almost 6:30. It was also much too late to do a crockpot macaroni and cheese. What’s a mom to do when she has a gaggle of hungry kids? I attempted to make Pressure Cooker Macaroni and Cheese.
I decided to wing it and see if I could come up with a quick and easy recipe to feed the hungry crowd. It was a huge hit! So much in fact that I quickly had to make a second batch!
I put in a pound of elbow noodles, 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 tsp salt and 4 cups of water. Selected the rice cycle for 5 minutes and pressed start. The noodles came out perfect for me. Didn’t even have to drain them! You may have to adjust the time based on your pressure cooker, but I found 5 minutes to be perfect.
After it’s done, keep it on the warm setting with the lid off and stir in 1 cup of cream, 16 oz of shredded cheddar cheese, 5 oz of shredded parmesan cheese, and 1 tsp of black pepper. Stir the cheeses in slowly to combine well. Serve immediately.
- 1 lb elbow noodles
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 16 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 oz shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Put the noodles, butter, salt and 4 cups of water into your pressure cooker.
- Select the rice cycle for 5 minutes and press start.
- Keep it on the warm setting with the lid off and stir in 1 cup of cream, 16 oz of shredded cheddar cheese, 5 oz of shredded parmesan cheese, and 1 tsp of black pepper.
- Stir the cheeses in slowly to combine well.
- Serve immediately.