Homeschooling in Athens, Georgia is filled with a ton of great opportunities, co-ops, homeschool days, and more! The Athens Homeschool community is surprisingly huge! It is pretty much the perfect town to homeschool. Let me know if you know of other things to add and I will try to keep this page updated as much as possible!
On the facebook pages, you can be kept up to date on social functions, outings, curriculum sales, or even post your own questions about homeschooling.
- Homeschoolers Near Athens
- Secular Homeschoolers In Athens
- Athens Homeschoolers Park Group
- Athens Homeschool Resources
- Jackson County Homeschoolers
- Georgia Homeschooling Discussion Group
- Madison County, GA Homeschoolers
- Homeschooled Teens of Athens
- Athens Homeschool Edventures
Community Schools and Co-ops:
As you can see, Athens has plenty of community schools and co-ops. Many offer extracurricular activities in addition to academics. The communities are wonderful for getting to know other homeschooling families and even for getting a small break from your kids during the week if desired. Each community school and co-op is individual with different beliefs, rules, activities, and teachers. Some are free and some are paid. Find out more about them and what they offer on their websites below:
- Heritage Classical Study Center
- Double Helix STEAM School
- Summit Academy
- Classical Conversations
- Compass Community
- Bridgeway Educational Support Team, LLP
- Wisdom Seekers
- Monsignor Donovan – offers a hybrid homeschool track
- Sandy Creek – offers homeschool classes
- Athens Teacher Reuse Store – Make an appointment and show your Declaration of Intent for FREE school supplies and other items
There are a bunch of homeschool activities other than just these. I recommend calling ahead to make sure that the event is still going on before heading out. You can find plenty more on the local facebook homeschool pages. Some are not homeschool specific, but good options.
- Homeschool Skate at Athens Skate Inn: This takes place on the first Friday of every month from 1:00-4:00 pm. $5 admission plus $2 skate rental.
- The Rook & Pawn – Call or visit their facebook page for details
- Trail Life
- American Heritage Girls
- Athens Area Homeschool Band
- UGA Strings Project
- Lyndon House Arts Foundation
- Civil Air Patrol
Local Field Trip Ideas:
- Hand Me Down Zoo
- The Georgia Museum of Natural History at UGA
- Zoo Atlanta offers Homeschool Activities
Articles of Interest:
- Free Things To Do in Athens, GA
- End of the Year Homeschool Evaluation Form
- How to Sell Used Homeschool Curriculum
- How to Organize Important Homeschool Papers
- Homeschooling Your Preschooler
- 25 FREE Homeschooling Resources
- 6 Awesome Math Manipulatives
- Homeschool Testing in Georgia
- 10 Things New Homeschooling Parents Need to Know
- 6 Reasons Why We Homeschool Year Round
What a great list!! Thank you for posting this! Many of these I didn’t know anything about. My son is in CAP and loves it!! There are several homeschooled kids there so it’s a good mix. They meet on Tuesdays at 6:15 at the Ben Epps Airport. Thanks again for letting us know about these resources!!
Stephanie H. says
This is a fantastic resource. Thanks for putting it together.
Dusty Gunn says
We have a gym that is located in Athens, GA. We are a community resource, and want to be a resource for the homeschool families in the area.
We have a full year PE program built on state curriculum requirements. We are scheduling weekly PE classes for homeschoolers- spots are filling fast- please reach out today!
What is the name of the Gym
Little Rose Nature Adventures says
Plant Micro Greens to take home! TWO TIME SLOTS available 11:00 – 12:30 for Home Schoolers and 3:30 – 4:00 for After Schoolers (Colham Ferry Elementary School Bus #63 stops here!)
We will be planting SUPERFOOD Microgreen seeds. Take them home, keep them moist in a sunny windowsill and they will be ready to add to a meal within 10 days. Microgreens are packed with nutrition, tasty, and easy to eat on a sandwich or salad or as a garnish. It’s a great way to get your veggies even if you don’t like veggies!
We might do some other fun stuff around the farm, too.
Class costs $10 includes all supplies and you take home your project!
VENMO Melissa to Register and let us know time slot you prefer. @Melissa-Steele-23
(Masks required if unvaccinated Thank You!)