Ever since I first tried an avocado egg roll, I’ve been hooked. They can be really pricey at the restaurants so we try to only order them on special occasions. The other day while we were in Aldi, they had some super ripe avocados for only $.39! We decided to see if we could make our own avocado eggrolls. I have a super husband that loves experimenting so he gave it a whirl. He even created a sweet and tangy dipping sauce for the egg rolls! For starters, you’ll want to cut open your avocados and slice and scoop out the goodness. If you haven’t worked with avocados before, there is a big seed in the middle. You’ll want to score around the outside of the avocado and then open it. Scoop out the seed and slice the avocado, not slicing through the skin. Then scoop out the avocado with a spoon.
You will want to do this to 4 of the avocados and then lightly salt. The 5th, you will scoop out and mash into a bowl. With the mashed avocado, you will add in some salt, lime juice, minced garlic, and cilantro. Stir it all up to make the base for your avocado egg roll. To make the egg rolls, you will lay one egg roll wrapper flat on a plate and add a spoon of the mashed avocado mixture. Add a couple slices of avocado on top. Next take your finger and dip it in a bowl of water. Run your finger along the outside edges of the egg roll. This helps the egg roll stick together. Then fold the sides in and roll up. Gently place the wrapped egg roll in hot oil to fry. Let cook 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oil and place on paper towels to cool. Repeat until egg rolls are filled and fried. Next up, mix up your dipping sauce. My husband had envisioned a sweet and tangy sauce. I thought he was crazy at first with the ingredients he was mixing together, but it worked beautifully! It’s a mixture of ketchup, cumin, orange marmalade, vinegar and a touch of salt. Don’t knock it until you try it!
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- 5 avocados
- sea salt
- 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon cilantro
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Remove the seed from the avocados and slice 4. Lightly salt.
- Mash the 5th avocado in a bowl and add the juice from 1/2 lime, garlic, cilantro, and salt to taste. Stir to combine.
- On a egg roll wrapper, spread 1 spoonful of the mashed avocado mixture and add a couple slices of avocado on top.
- Dip your finger in water and run it along the outside edge of the egg roll wrapper.
- Fold in edges and roll up.
- Place egg roll in hot oil and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towels to drain.
- Continue until out of avocado mixture.
- For sauce, mix remaining 5 ingredients until well combined. Pour into a bowl for dipping.
Cut the egg rolls in half and enjoy! Even my kids loved these!