If you live in Georgia, you may have heard about the new hands-free driving law that goes into effect on July 1, 2018. This has sent me scrambling because the vehicle I drive most does not have Bluetooth capabilities! A friend of mine recently asked on facebook about this problem and received many great suggestions that I will cover below. But first, here’s the law:
Effective July 1, 2018, pursuant to 40-6-241(c), all drivers operating a motor vehicle on any highway of this state are prohibited from:
- Holding or supporting, with any part of the body, a wireless telecommunications device or stand-alone electronic device.
- Writing, sending or reading any text-based communication, including a text message, instant message, e-mail or internet data.
- Watching, recording, or broadcasting a video or movie.
- 1st conviction – 1 point and $50.00 fine
- 2nd conviction – 2 points and $100.00 fine
- 3rd or more convictions – 3 points and $150.00 fine
As you can see, it’s going to hurt a bit if you are caught! For my car without Bluetooth, I bought the Gogroove FlexSMART Bluetooth Handsfree Car Kit. I picked this one in particular because of a reader’s recommendation. A bonus is that it can connect to 2 different phones so I can program it to mine and my husband’s phones. It plays right through the car’s speakers. Mine is supposed to be delivered today and then I’ll update with my thoughts on how it works.
If you’re looking for something a little less expensive and only need it to connect to one phone, I’ve heard good things about the Nulaxy Bluetooth Handsfree Car Kit.
You can also go old school with the Bluetooth Headset earpieces. I don’t particularly care for this type as they don’t fit in my ear right. My husband doesn’t seem to have a problem with them, though!
If I were to get something I wore for the Bluetooth ability, I think I would go for a full headset like this. That way I’m not fiddling with it while I’m trying to drive.
I also had a reader let me know that she uses the Sun Visor Bluetooth Kit and loves it.
If you don’t have a car with Bluetooth, what are you planning to do? Do you have any favorite products?