I have seen several recipes for egg roll in a bowl, however some contained soy sauce, which we cannot have due to my son’s allergy and some contained funky things that we didn’t have on hand. For lunch today, I put together our own version of Eggroll in a Bowl that was a huge hit around here! My hubby loved it as well!
We had received cabbage in our Bountiful Basket this past week and we had carrots and onions leftover from a previous basket so everything we needed was on hand.
First up, throw a pound of Johnsonville Italian Sausage or similar brand into a large skillet. Brown the pork until done. Add in a whole chopped onion and stir to combine. Cook over medium high heat about 5 minutes.
As the onions cook, prepare your cabbage and carrots. I found it easiest to chop the cabbage and then put it through my food processor to shred. Same with the carrots. I peeled them and put them through the food processor. Much easier!
Add in your cabbage and carrot mixture along with your coconut amines, garlic, and ginger. Stir to combine and cover. Cook on low about 5-8 more minutes.
- 1 lb package Johnsonville or similar italian sausage
- 1 Head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 cup Coconut Aminos (Soy Sauce Alternative)
- Brown the sausage in a skillet until done.
- Add in onions and cook over medium high heat for about 5-10 minutes.
- While the onions and sausage cooks, put the peeled carrots through the food processor to grate and do the same with the washed and cored cabbage.
- Add the cabbage and carrots into the sausage mixture.
- Add in the garlic, ginger and coconut aminos.
- Stir to combine, cover, and cook on medium low about 5 minutes.
- Eat while warm!
My husband had the great idea to stir a little horseradish mustard in his at the end and he loved it that way!
This is a great carb free meal that also goes well on the Trim Healthy Mama plan. This would be an S meal.