My family absolutely LOVES Poppy Seed chicken. It’s a frequent on our weekly meal plans. I have been trying to start back again on the Trim Healthy Mama plan in order to get healthier and I haven’t been able to find a recipe for Poppy Seed Chicken that fit in an S dinner. I simply did not want to be without one of my favorite dishes while I’m working on my health! I came up with this recipe for poppy seed chicken that fits with the THM lifestyle.
It turned out so delicious that I think I’ll be making it this way from now on instead of our old way! This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to fit your family size. I made a small batch so I could experiment. Next time I will double it for our family size. Here’s what I did:
First up, melt 3 tablespoons of butter and 1 teaspoon minced garlic over medium low heat until fragrant. When it’s ready, your kitchen will know it 🙂
Stir in cream, yogurt or sour cream, cream cheese, salt, and pepper. Continue simmering over the heat until it’s combined well – about 5-10 minutes.
Once ready, remove from heat and stir in your chicken and poppy seeds.
Spread in greased casserole dish. Sprinkle parmesan over the chicken.
Next up, toast your lavash bread. I did ours right in the oven. If you don’t have lavash bread, a few wasa crackers will be ok. If you’re not on THM, you can use your favorite crackers. You also could completely leave out the topping and just go with a cheesy parmesan top.
Once toasted, send through the food processor to make crumbs. Sprinkle the crumbs on top of the casserole.
Melt 3 tablespoons of butter and drizzle on top of the crumbs. Leave the butter out if you choose to not add a topping.
Bake at 375 for about 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Enjoy with your favorited S veggies. I paired it with asparagus sautéed in coconut oil. Yummy!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (about 3-4 cups of shredded chicken)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup cream
- 8 ounces plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- 2 Joseph’s Lavash Bread, toasted, and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Over medium low heat, melt the 3 tablespoons butter and minced garlic until fragrant.
- Stir in cream, sour cream or yogurt, cream cheese, salt, and pepper. Continue simmering over medium heat, stirring frequently, until combined well.
- Remove from heat and add chicken and poppy seed.
- Transfer to greased casserole dish and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Toast your Lavash Bread and pulse in the food processor until you have small crumbles.
- Sprinkle over top of parmesan cheese.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over top of the Lavash Bread crumbles.
- Bake at 375 for about 15-20 minutes.