We got a pie pumpkin in our organic basket from the Bountiful Baskets co-op. I had never cooked one before, but ended up being much more simple than I expected.
You can pop a whole pie pumpkin in the oven on a cookie sheet and let it cook for about an hour or until it’s tender. I’m talking slice through like butter with a hot knife tender. Then you simple cut it, scoop out the pumpkin and you’re ready to go!
I wasn’t quite sure what to do with the fresh pumpkin, so I decided to make some muffins. Making kid approved healthy muffins can be quite simple if done right. Besides, everything is better with some dark chocolate
Here is the recipe that I created for Dark Chocolate Chip Pumpkin muffins. This recipe could easily be halved if you don’t have a big family or kids that like to eat a lot.
- 2 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 TBSP Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup honey
- 2 cups fresh pumpkin
- 1 package Toll House dark chocolate chip morsels
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl using an electric mixer. Once combined, add in the morsels.
- Scoop the batter into a lined and sprayed cupcake pan
- Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before enjoying.
- Makes about 24 cupcakes